Russian Defence Ministry says no casualties reported in south of Syria
Date: 2018-07-11 11:57
The Russian Defense Ministry denied what ISIS claimed that it killed Russian members in Daraa countryside on Tuesday (July 10).
"There were no casualties in the Russian military, neither in the countryside of Daraa nor in the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic in general," the ministry said in a statement issued on Tuesday night.
A suicide car bombing on Tuesday killed 14 newly reconciled fighters from pro-regime and opposition ranks in an attack on a south Syrian village claimed by the ISIS group, monitoring groups said.
The explosion hit Zaizun, a village in the western countryside of Daraa province which opposition fighters agreed in recent days to hand over to regime control.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement posted on the Telegram messaging app, saying the car driven by a suicide bomber had been packed with explosives.
Zaizun lies near a sliver of southern territory controlled by Jaish Khaled bin Walid, a faction that has pledged allegiance to ISIS, and which is not bound by the deal between the rebels and the government.