Opposition heavy weapons removed from Idlib’s DMZ
Date: 2018-10-08 12:32
The Syrian opposition on Monday (Oct. 8) completed the withdrawal of all their heavy weapons from Idlib front lines in northwestern Syria, AA reported.
According to an Anadolu Agency correspondent in the scene, the forces removed heavy weapons from Idlib de-escalation zone’s front lines with the Assad regime and allied militias.
Earlier on Monday, an opposition source told Anadolu Agency that the opposition had worked during the past days and throughout Sunday night to withdraw heavy weapons, including Grad rocket launchers, mortars and medium-range missiles.
Meanwhile, Turkish forces sent various weapons and armored vehicles to the demilitarized zone to prepare for patrols with Russian forces according to the Sochi agreement between the two countries.
Following a meeting in Sochi last month between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the two countries agreed to establish a demilitarized zone in Idlib, Syria’s last opposition stronghold.
Under the deal, opposition groups in Idlib will remain in areas in which they are already present, while Russia and Turkey will conduct joint patrols in the area with a view to preventing renewed fighting.
The spokesperson of NFL said on Saturday that the withdrawal of the heavy weapons came in coordination with the Turkish side, adding that the Turkish observation points were reinforced with weapons and military equipment to take the role against any violation could be made by the Assad regime.
Naji Mostafa said that the headquarters of and positions of his group will not move, adding that the group members will never lay down their medium and light weapons.
The National Front for Liberation is allied Free Syrian Army powerful groups in Idlib and Hama northern countryside.